Friday, August 17, 2018

Welcome to 5-2!!

Hello 5-2 Families :) 

I hope this blog finds you refreshed after a relaxing summer and ready for a new school year!  I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to you, and to tell you how excited I am to be your child’s 5th grade teacher!

I have had the privilege of working at Olive-Mary Stitt for the past fifteen years, with the majority of my time spent in 5th grade.  I hold two Master Degree - one in Elementary Education from Roosevelt University and one in Curriculum and Instructions from Olivet Nazarene University, as well as an undergraduate degree in Information Systems and Accounting.  

I am a dedicated mother of four adult children, all whom have taught me the many joys and trials of parenting.  I have also been blessed with two beautiful grandchildren, a 2 1/2 year old granddaughter and an 18 month old grandson.

Your students are part of a Paperless Classroom this year.  As they will learn, “paperless” means “less paper”, rather than “no paper”.  The students will be using significantly more technology in their daily work and communication in the classroom, and significantly less paper. Have no fear, this does NOT mean you will be expected to provide more technology or support for your children at home!  They will always be given the choice with every homework assignment to take it home on paper, or to complete it online.  You will receive more information about this on Curriculum Night.

*** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ***

Ø  Please have your child bring a water bottle each day to keep on their desk – especially during these last few days of summer.  It can get warm in our classroom after recess or PE, and this will cut down on the number of trips to the water fountain.  Wrapping the water bottle in a sock will help to reduce the amount of condensation on their desks.
Ø  Students will be allowed to have a snack around 11:00 each morning – please be sure this is a healthy snack (fruits and vegetables only!)
Ø  Lunch will be from 12:40-1:10 for the first half of the year.  All 5th grade students will be eating and having recess together.  It is important that your child knows each morning if he/she is going to eat a hot lunch, a cold lunch, a sack lunch from home, or if they will be going home for lunch.
Ø  Students will be taken outdoors for recess every day - please be sure your child is wearing appropriate footwear this time of year.  Flip-flops and Crocs are discouraged as many students have received injuries wearing these types of sandals on the playground.

Ø  Specials Schedule:
o   Art will be on Monday from 10:25–11:10.
o    PE & Music will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:10-11:10 – please be sure your child wears or brings in gym shoes on those days.
o   LMC will be on Wednesdays from 10:10-11:10, please help your child to remember their library book due dates. 


Please feel free to contact me at any time if you have any questions.  The best way to contact me is via e-mail: tfowler@sd25.org. I check my e-mail throughout the day, but generally respond only in the evening, unless there is an urgent need for a quicker response.  

I look forward to getting to know your children better over the next several weeks.  I am truly excited for this year and am looking forward to working with your child as well as with you.  5th grade can be a year full of anxiety for both the parents and the students.  Please know that I am here to support you and your children in any way that I can to make this transition year as smooth as possible.  Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time with any questions.

Looking forward to seeing many of you at our Meet & Greet scheduled on Monday, 8/20 from 2:20pm-3:20.  Please look for further communications from me in the form of emails, as well as website and blog updates.


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
William Butler Yeats



No comments:

Post a Comment